Finding interesting stuff
🦄 Buyfriends is now even friendlier with a mobile-friendly layout!
New figure announcements and discussion
For most people starting out and for those who don't want to browse many websites, there are two primary websites which will be used to find out about new figures.
You can either use the link above for the current discussion thread or alternatively, use this filter: buyf*g*. Select the top option to keep threads at the top. If you don’t find a matching expression, look for a recent preorder picture.
These threads are essentially 24/7 on /a/, with users from many different countries. This means that many figures announced will be discussed at some point here, especially when preorders open for them. During Events there will likely be a number of images posted of new figures and GKs, WonFes especially will hit the image limit many times in a single day. Following Buyfag etiquette is highly recommended.
/jp/, /toy/ and /v/ might have some relevant threads from time to time, but non-articulated statues and nudity are not allowed on /toy/
This page shows recent figure additions to MFC, which may be new figures/GKs or just older figures which hadn't been added until now. MFC has several users who are autistic enough to add things almost instantly, so take advantage of this.
Figure reviews, blogs and pictures
- Akiba Hobby Focusing on scale figures, this versatile photo blog that covers Events, manufacturer samples, sample exhibitions, and figure reviews.
- Moonlitsaki - An English blog dedicated to Anime Figure News and Reviews.
- 真紅のハルヒ - A blog for prize figures and such, rather than scale figures.
- Moeyo - For your fix of raunchy images and pantsu
- Neko Magic - Blog puts up pictures of releases
- Cut A News - Pics and some info
- OhnoRaptors’ Tumblr - Endless pictures if you scroll down
- Akiba Weekend - A blog where some Japanese dude uploads nice photos that he takes at events that take place in japan
- Nichirou - A blog that features some of the highest quality images taken at Wonfes.
- 1UP - This news site broadly covers the Akihabara subculture but is relevant for it's photo coverage of figure events and sample exhibitions.
- Honya Akiba - Rather than focusing on figures this blog pertains to displays for Anime. Stores, Cafe's, and other venues are commonly decorated with 1:1 scale cutouts of characters, mannequins adorned with cosplay, and frames from popular and/or airing Anime.
Figure News Aggregators
- Figurenews - This is a a very reliable, quick, and thorough figure news aggregator. Includes mech stuff and western licenses.
- フィギュア情報 - Another figure news aggregator.
- Figsoku - A figure review and previews site.
- Hobbylog - This is not as thorough as the above site but instead offers photo reviews/thread coverage from Japanese BBS boards and other figure related interests.
- Mikatan - Run by Kahotan, this is an English version of Mikatan
- Mikatan’s Blog - Good Smile product blog
- Shinsotsu - A GSC blog which sparsely covers products and company mischief. This is in Japanese and only occasionally interesting.
Dedicated Photo Reviews
- Toy-Navi - A figure review site with high resolution and high photo count. Known for having a black background and using a coke can for scale. This site has broad coverage of scales and prize figures so if you you search for an item in Japanese there is good chance to find what you are looking for.
- Asahiwa - Another high quality figure review site. Has a smaller selection than Toy-Navi. Has a wide variety of backdrops and often incorporates a small Yotsuba or or other cute trinket for scale.
- figue photo 2 A portion of the pictures that are done for pre-oder promotional shots are done by the owner of this blog. Whereas only a handful are selected for use there are often over a hundred shots with differing angles and backdrops which are hosted here in higher resolution. In addition to pre-painted scales there are is also photo reviews of some of the more renowned/popular garage kits.
- Hobby Fragments - This site has photo reviews in the highest of quality but it appears to be a personal collection and as such has a tiny catalogue.